See Sherlock at the Perot Museum!
Living in the DFW area has its perks – great restaurants, pro sports teams, and awesome museums just to name a few. The Perot Museum of Nature and Science is definitely my favorite in the area. It’s basically brand new (opened in 2012) and is housed in this amazing looking building that makes it stand out in the Dallas skyline:
Inside are exhibits on space, dinosaurs, earth and natural disasters, evolution and biology and a mini-science museum just for little kids. One of the best parts about the museum, like many others, is the traveling exhibits that they often get. Running from now until May 10th, the museum is hosting the International Exhibition of Sherlock Holmes. As avid fans of all things Sherlock, we are dying to go!
This exhibition prides itself on being very hands-on for visitors, so special admission in timed intervals is required for maximum enjoyment. It’s broken down into several different galleries featuring the back story of author Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and the Culture of Sherlock among other galleries. Here’s the list below of the galleries included and you can read full descriptions here:
- Dr. Conan Doyle’s Study: Dive into the author’s life by learning more about what helped inspire Sherlock, as well as view some original manuscripts!
- Science and History: Learn more about forensics studies and solve your own crimes using methods first founded in the 1890’s
- Sherlock Holmes in Baker Street: Visit a mock up of 221B Baker Street (no Katie, Benedict will not be there).
- Become a Detective: Award-winning Conan Doyle biographer Daniel Stashower wrote an exclusive mystery for exhibition guests – and you get to solve it Sherlock style!
- Culture of Sherlock: Covers some of pop culture’s incarnations of Sherlock, Watson and their villians; including Robert Downey Jr’s versions, CBS’s Elementary and BBC’s Sherlock which are both modern-day Sherlock adapations.
We cannot wait to go – look for an upcoming review of our visit! If you’re interested in learning more about the exhibition, visit the official website and the Perot Museum’s exhibition page – featuring a video of what’s in store on your visit! If you’ve already been, let us know what you thought in the comments!
Perot Museum Details
Admission prices (can be purchased online in advance):
Adults: $17 (members are free)
Children: under 2 are free, ages 2-17 price is $11 (members are free)
Sherlock Exhibit Prices:
Children: under 2 are free, ages 2-17 price is $10
Monday through Saturday: 10-5
Sunday: Noon – 5
Last exhibit entry is 1 1/2 hours before closing time.